Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: My 6

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on March 21, 2000 18:08:30 UTC

You have a wonderful sized solar scope. Before you do indeed start making a scope with it, I would recommend that you do a Foucault test and use a finder scope or so behind the knife edge to get a better view of the mirror. You focus the scope on the mirror and place the knife edge so that it covers half of the objective lens. You don`t need a large scope for diameter as the only light of interest is that from the small area of the knife edge and the rest is just wasted area. The mirror is going to be about 160" away so you`re going to want some optical assistance. The mirror should be a perfect sphere to be good.
Leonard Higgens did a spectrohelioscope and has pictures and some text at http://sunmil1.uml.edu/eyes/lhiggins/neweb3.html and I`ve seen the instrument and it`s rather interesting. The image of the sun will be about three quarters of an inch in diameter so you will have a nice view of the sun.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins