Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: What Should I Build Now?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Anthony Kight on March 16, 2000 18:15:46 UTC

I did a proper focal length test outside using the sun. also the astronomy/physics instructor at my college helped me set up the test. I am quite sure it was done properly. You stated that the mirror must be just about flat. Actually the flatter the mirror, or more correctly the larger the radius the longer the focal length. This mirror will just about fit a basketball if it were not a parabolic shape. Given that the focal length of a sphere is aproximatly 1/2 the radius of the sphere then a mirror that just fits a basket ball would have a focal length of about 1/2 of the radius of the ball, or 1/4 the diamiter of the ball. in either case this mirror works out to about 3". I understand a type of camera can be built with this short of a focal length, however I am beginning to look at maybe going the other way and using it to build some sort of microscope device to teach my kids about magnification. I am still is search of a 6" to 10" mirror that I can use for my telescope. Thank You for any comments or help you can give me on this. Tony

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2021 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins