Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Altitude Bearings

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by stevec/">stevec on February 24, 2000 07:54:54 UTC

: Anyone have any good suggestions for altitude bearings on a dob base I'm building? Don't like the idea of laminate or aluminum wrapped wood, Found a guy who will mill me two aluminum discs(6"), for $150. But I would like to find something to use as an alternative for less money. They will ride on teflon. : Just thought I'd throw this one out there to you guys and hope for the best. Thanks and clear skies! : Rich : P.S.- It's a 10" F-7, (good size scope)

Try plastic tupperware round containers, or coffee cans, cut down to a depth of about an inch or so ,then glue a wood disc inside of can to add support,due to the weight of the tube assembly,otherwise the plastic or tin will bend,then attach to the tube box by drilling 3 or 4 holes through bearing and insert hex bolts & nuts(or glue to box and wood screws). also nylon pads work good too..........steve.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins