Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Metal Tools

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Walt Hamler/">Walt Hamler on February 23, 2000 22:06:00 UTC

: Depends upon the size of your mirror. Your plumbing supply doesn't have the caps to block off a pipe end? My Home Depot has them from the 1/2" to 2" pipe size in black iron and galvanized. Either works well. Get one that's about 1/3 the size of the mirror for better results. One guy used a 1/2" flange (about 4" in diameter) on a 12" mirror and it also worked well. Your not even stuck with iron but I've heard of aluminum being also used for the intitial grinding and somebody is selling preground tools (full size) for the grinding. The effort here is to do the coarse grinding with something that's not going to wear out fast but does form the spherical surface needed for the mirror. After the initial curved surface is developed, you can then cast a tool with embedded tiles in it and finish the curve to the required shape. : I might note that the pros use large diameter iron tools that are turned to the required radius of curvature and the glass is precurved with diamond grinders. The iron tools are used through all of the steps in grinding as the mirror is a bit smaller than the tools and it keeps it's shape well as the grinding progresses.

The closet flange I have is about 4" dia, but donut shapped on the bottom, about 1 1/4" wide. I figure it should be as good as the end caps hopefully. Will keep you posted as the mirror kit should be here nlt Monday. Can't wait to get started!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins