Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: What Is F/10 Mean?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Jennifer Younker/">Jennifer Younker on February 8, 2000 21:58:40 UTC

: : : : : : I'm about to enter the world of amature astronomy and : : : : buy a new telescope. I'll probably start out in the : : : : low end of things. I've been looking at Meade's 8" : : : : LX10. I'm a little confused after looking at all of : : : : the different telescope specs. What is focal ratio? : : : : Does a larger focal ratio mean better?

: : : : Thanks

: : The f number or is the focal length of the mirror. For : : example it you purchase a 10" diameter mirror with an F5 : : focal length, the point at which the light collected by : : the mirror would be focused would be 50" from the mirror. : : Check out this web site: : : http://wwww.tiac.net/users/atm/baffle.html

: : Good seeing

: : The notation "f/10" is read "F Ten" and refers to : the "F number" of the optical system. The : definition of "F number" is the ratio of the : focal length to the diameter and is directly : proportional to magnification. A larger F number : telescope has a larger magnification, given the : same eye piece. For example, an f/10 telescope : with a 6" mirror would have a 60" focal length.

I know where the "f number" comes from. BUt who thought of calling it the "f" number. WHat does it stand for.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins