Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Crosshairs On Monocular

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Stef on February 7, 2000 18:58:35 UTC

: By a monocular, I assume that you're talking about a finder scope of some kind although the principle is applicable on all optics. : Pull the eye lens set from the scope and find it's focal point. The EP of most scopes have a diaphram at some point to define the field of view. Looking into just the EP will show a bright field with a sharp edge. When you look at the other end, you will see the diaphram and this is the sharp edge that you are seeing. You can place a pen point up into the area and it will be in focus. This plane is where your crosshairs go. Before you start with the delicate part of putting crosshairs on, make sure that you can move the diaphram if necessary to focus the crosshairs properly. If you can't move it for some reason, then you have to be careful in putting them in so that you have the crosshairs in focus when you're looking through the EP with your eye relaxed to whereever it focuses to. This part is important because the objective will also focus at this plane and the easiest focus for the eye is when the eye is relaxed. : Many types of materials can be used for the crosshairs including ultra fine wire, spider silk and glass plates with fine lines on them.

Robert

Thanks for your comments. By a monocular I mean half a pair of binoculars. Maybe the term monocular isn't used in the US (I live in England). It's not a pair of binoculars sawn in half, but simply a single tube, where the eyepiece end can be rotated to focus. The one I have is an 8x21 and looks ideal as a spotter, as long as it can be mounted and crosshairs added.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins