Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Meter Mirror Makers Club

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Ric/">Ric on February 2, 2000 22:25:51 UTC

: Ok Ric: : You're out. I am not begging anyone to participate and I don't need anyone either. : It seems logical to co-operate but I am not going to argue nor spend words on BVC or PPG. : This is exactly why I set a minimum level of expertise required so I don't have to waste breath. : I already have guys that have made the large mirrors and funny, there is no quibbling. : We all just seem to know what works and don't because we have tried it or know someone that has. : Good Luck Though,

Well,I did make my own kiln and slumped 24 inchers for a while so I've been where you're going. You also are forgetting a subtle point.Yes one can slump glass and get a large blank to a f/4 to even f/3 ratio to bring the height down.Sounds nice,but the reality is that figuring these fast large primaries is not for the beginner.Foucalt test just wont cut it.Given the added expense of slumping you can easily loose the advantage by having a baddly figured primary.Galaxy had a 25 incher f/3 once but stated they'd never make any money on them due to the long figuring time needed.. Ric

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins