Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Need Optics For A 10

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by steve c/">steve c on February 1, 2000 09:23:40 UTC

: Hi : I need help I've been trying to find a place with good prices on Optics for a 10" dobsonian. I'm really looking for a Kit because I never ground a mirror before, But I'm willing to try. How hard is it anyway? : Thanks A Million! : Any advice will be Greatly Appreciated

Try newport glassworks in california for a 10" blank, ,check yellow pages in your area for lapidary supp ly, rocks & mineral etc. they usually carry at lea st some if not all of the grit #'s of silicon carbide abrasive,aluminum oxide and cerium oxide. DONT use a plate glass grinding tool its a waste of money, make a grinding tool out of plaster of paris, and ceramic bathroom tiles(epoxy tiles to hardend disc of plaster). buy pitch from fusco abrasives in phoenix,az or willman bell(i use sweedish gugolz,its the best) 95% of the time and effort spent making a mirror is figuring and testing, grinding and polishing is easy good luck! steve c

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins