Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Meter Mirror Makers Club

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Rick Crockett/">Rick Crockett on January 30, 2000 21:46:21 UTC

I want to start an informal Meter Mirror Makers Club. To be part of the group all you need is to be planning a meter or above size scope and have already made from the flat Pyrex blank to a usable scope, a half meter or more in diameter. This is for individuals that have gound, polished, figured and currently own said scope. Consideration may be given to group participants if they can exhibit the knowlege and experience required. This Club is not being formed to buy or sell materials of any kind but rather to identify those that have a common interest, a proven ability and could be depended upon if some or all wish to participate in a group purchase or activity.

One purpose of this is to weed out the wannabes but also to work on a source of materials for large optics at discounted prices. If we say, make a bulk pyrex buy and have 40" blanks cut, annealed and slumped, we want to only be dealing with others that have the proven confidence and capabilty to commit and proceed. I have developed sources for slabbed to slumped blanks but may build an annealing and slumping oven. If I build the oven it may be in AZ but currently all sources and facilities are in San Diego County.

I am always glad to help people in their telescope project but to be fair to those who have proven they are can-do people, I have to limit this to the reasonable effort of 20" Pyrex, equivalent or better glass mirror makers. Don't ask about cheap plate! And I don't care if Mt. Wilson's 60" is made of the stuff. It is also 10" thick.

For those of you that would like to make a more reasonable sized scope I am arranging for the supply of fine annealed blanks in the 16-30 inch range and a new type of all glass tool from 8" to 30" . I will post more about this. Please no just curious inquiries.

Clear Skies, -Rick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins