Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Robert May Can U Help Me OUT?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on January 25, 2000 17:47:18 UTC

Tom, as Cly said, there's mirrors availabe on a number of places. EBay, Astromart, and Astronomy-Mall all have optics for sale. If you're a bit of a handyman, then the grinding of a mirror really isn't a hard chore, just takes a while. Get the big mirror already made and make a 6" or so long FL as a guide scope or a much short FL for a finder scope for the main scope by grinding the mirror and you will have the best of both worlds. If you don't finish the small mirror for various reasons then you don't lose out on looking at the sky - you just don't have that particular scope to play with. I think that you will find that making a mirror is a good means of stress relief when the world is crashing down around you. The mindless motions allow for the mind to relax and think about the problems of the day. You might also want to look at the article that I have been writing on glass grinding at my website www.access1.net/bobmay as one place to see what's involved. I have been working with the San Diego AA group in thier mirror making group and they have had a number of nice mirrors made in the time that I have been there.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins