Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Achromat Air-spaced Shims

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bill G/">Bill G on January 21, 2000 02:34:06 UTC

: Has anyone ever replaced the three spacers in an air-spaced achromat? If you have some experience with this, I have some questions: : 1. How critical is the thickness of the spacers? : 2. What are the best materials to use as spacers? : 3. What is the best way to make sure the spacers do not shift when the retaining ring is screwed back on.

: A second issue relating to the air-space distance, has anyone experimented with the seperation and/or rotating the doublet for better color correction and alinement. Excuse my spelling.

Try to find some adhesive backed, heavy aluminum foil. I found some in a Salvo Outo Parts store. It's made by Bondo and is intended for body repair. It measures about 0.0003" thick and can be layered to make up different thicknesses. I used three layer and cut three shims for my 4" f-10 achro. It worked well and I didn't increase the secondary spectrum. It's also inexpensive.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins