Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Meade DS-127 Stabilization

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on January 6, 2000 18:44:50 UTC

Unfortunately, scopes move due to the wind and other things. It's a fact of nature that we all live with. The question is how much is too much? If you touch the scope, the vibrations from that touch should go away in about 1-3 seconds. If the scope keeps on vibrating, then you need to find where the vibrations are being allowed to continue. There are things like the Celestron Anti Vibration Pads (which are two pieces of metal and a cast piece of Sorbethane foam between) which will reduce the vibration a lot. Now we come to the vibration due to the wind. This is something which the only real solution is to build some kind of a baffle to block the wind. I've seen all kinds of baffles done. I have a PVC pipe and canvas dome on a trailer which I use for my 10" scope to stop the wind. It does an excellent job doing so but is a minor pain to store and, of course, takes it's own part of my time to setup at a site. Even setting up near a line of trees or a solid fence will reduce the wind a lot and help. The other thing is to use lower power (motion is less obvious to in the film) to take the pictures.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins