Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Ray Tracing Programs

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Joe/">Joe on December 28, 1999 01:58:08 UTC

: Is that the piece of glass from (?)Texas that the guy had from some cloud viewer? The F1 is a real short FL and about all that you can do besides a Schmidt camera (not a bad idea) is to make a Schmidt Cass with it or a Pressmann-Carmichel which is a pretty narrow field instrument. I think that you would be best off looking at the various Schmidt camera ideas as some of them don't use a corrector plate. You might want to get the book Telescope Optics Evaluation and Design ($25) from Willmann-Bell and spend the additional $25 for the software that goes with the book. It runs in DOS and isn't designed for automatic design but it is very helpfull in teaching you about the various tradeoffs in telescope design. : The alternative is to use the glass as a piece of glass for a longer FL scope.

I wonder,, now thinking,, on the schmidt corrector thought,, hhhmmm,, I wonder if that mirror might still be a wee bit too fast of an F ratio,, or if it might be feasable to make into a schmidt cass ofa short ratio F6? maybe,, hhmmm,,

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins