Back to Home

Astrophotography Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Astrophotography | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Astrophotography Questions, ETX 125

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by John on May 21, 2006 02:58:13 UTC

Hello, and thank you for reading my questions.

I am very interested in astrophotography. I currently have a Nikon d100. I know this isn't the best camera for Astrophotography, but I do know that it will work. I also have a t bracket for my camera. The next thing I need is a telescope. I have been looking at the Meade EXT 125 found at http://www.camcor.com/cgi-bin/cat/id=1125413269 or it can also be found at http://www.adorama.com/MDOTAE12.html which seems to have more info on the product.

I am looking at this telescope because it has a large focal length (I have no idea what thats for) and wanted to ask you guys whether its worth the $600 or so. While I have found that some of the best astrophotographers use telescopes with 10" and beyond telescopes, this is only a 5". In this price range (600 is the max I'm willing to spend on the telescope), will this telescope be the best bang for the buck? Also, I'm wanting to connect my Nikon D100 to the telescope using the t bracket. Will this work?

One question about piggy-backing. I understand that the camera is ontop of the telescope, and the purpose is that the camera will then be guided (to offset earth rotation) from the computerized mount of the telescope. However, how do astrophotographers get great shots without using the magnification from the actual telescope? Is it a better camera lens? If so, which lens would be ideal for piggybacking a Nikon D100?

Thanks a mill for whoever can give me assistance. I'm really wanting to buy a telescope and would like to start astrophotography.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins