Back to Home

Astrophotography Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Astrophotography | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
P.S. On Saturn

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Daniel Johnson on June 1, 2003 21:42:13 UTC

Yes, I've gotten a few shots of Saturn. It is a much more challengin subject than Jupiter because of its smaller size (the rings as seen from Earth fit just within Jupiter's disk, i.e. both are 50 arcseconds across, and the globe of Saturn is much smaller), and because it has much less variation in color. Also, it is dimmer, and that means longer exposures with more atmospheric fuzz. Still, I've gotten a few good photos that make my friends envious.
Mars, also, will be a challenging subject compared with Jupiter--it is only half Jupiter's apparent diameter, and even then only for a few months every several years. The closest approach of Mars to Earth in the history of civilization will be this summer, late August. It will be the best chance you have in a lifetime for Mars, though if you live another 20 years you'll have 2 or 3 opportunities ALMOST as good.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins