Back to Home

Astrophotography Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Astrophotography | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
35mm Is Not Dead!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Clitherow on January 15, 2003 16:13:02 UTC

I agree with you about scanners. CCD cameras have a lot of advantages over film in terms of sensitivity, but the prices are silly. I use an even cheaper scanner. Its a 'no name' machine sold by the Jessops chain of photographic shops in the UK for the equivalent of about 150 dollars US. I've seen it under a number of different brand names on the net. It's only 1800dpi, but that's over the full width and height of 35mm negative. This gives me about 11Mb file size per picture and compares very favourably in resolution with even 1 megapixel CCDs, which cost a bloody fortune in the UK. I get the film developed, uncut and unprinted, for peanuts and then scan and process the best shots. It may not be as sensitive as a CCD but its resolution is as good and it will be a long time before I change over.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins