Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: GOD, Created All? Evilness As Well?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by H on January 28, 1999 15:21:45 UTC

A common thing I run into all the time is statements like "you need to go to church", "you need to open a bible." The thing many people I encounter don't realize is my upbrining. Chruch was every sunday, every christmas, and every easter. Sunday school was also part of the routine some years, but not all. I find I actually know more about Christianity than many American Christians. In my experience, I ran into much of the same things. In sunday school many times I was deciplined (not harshly, but often sternly) for raising questions. I thought they were valid, and when I found them not being addressed is when i really started to doubt things. All through high school I had major doubts, my religion would probably have best been described as "Deist". About my sophmore year in college is when I became a full blown atheist. During my freshman year I knew an Atheist who I graduated with. He went to Duke University, I didn't have the grades or money, but I went to a good school. We would debate like hell, me being on the religious side, but only religious in the sense of believing in a god of some sort. During my later years in college, after I was an atheist, I had many debates with relgious studends. As I got toward the end of college, I stopped debating (I'm 22 now). I do not debate even if I hear the most rediculous comments. Perhaps I'll drink some beer and get in a discussion, but I let this board vent my debating desires.

H

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins