Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Fabrications Of Men (and Women)

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on July 3, 2003 03:02:27 UTC

Hi Kyle,

In part what you are asserting is the view (held by many liberal Christians I think) that the Gospels were not the words/ stories/ miracles of the historical individual Jesus Christ but were rather the creation of other (later) contributors who were inspired by the ideals associated with the religious messiah, Jesus Christ.

I don't know what was directly from Jesus and what wasn't. My central thesis is that it doesn't matter for anything but historical purposes. For Christian purposes of knowing their Savior, the accounts in the Gospels serve this main purpose. Who, what, when, etc are details that need not concern those who wish to have an encounter with the Savior of men.

If this is so, then some of the foundational doctrines of Christianity with respect to the wisdom and teachings of its central figure were fabricated by other men who lived later than Jesus, albeit with noble intent (for example to extol the virtues of forgiveness and love, etc.).
The implicit justification of such fabrications is the notion that these later men were able to further glorify the ideals of Christianity by attributing greater goodness and wisdom to Jesus Christ than that which was already there.

No! My point is that these individuals were sharing their experience of Jesus as well as the experiences of those who knew Jesus. Those experiences were impossible to relate in the everyday vernacular experiences of those they encountered. The 'fabrications' that were passed on (again, us not knowing which ones were not from those that were), were necessary to pass on the experience of Jesus in their original form.

However if this is true, then it follows that Mankind and not God should be credited for the inspirational and transcendent wisdom that will teach humanity how to live, thereby saving it.

I guess that all depends on what you believe as to the source of all good things. If you believe that God does not exist or is hardly if ever involved in human existence, then the good things of men must be seen as from men. But, if you are like me, you see the good things of life as from God. They might 'originate' in the human mind, but this, I believe, is a superficial origin. It is from God in that he writes the plot that makes good things come about. This inspiration and transcendent wisdom can be fostered by prayer, fasting, meditation, and even good discussions such as these. The point is that any and all contact of a spiritual nature is a divining rod for inspiration and transcendent wisdom, but the source is always God.

Isn't this essentially what both Buddhism (and also Humanism) have been saying all along?

I don't know about Buddhism, but secular humanism in my mind is an effort to take credit for those things that come from God, which no human has a right to take such credit.

However if this is true, then it follows that Mankind and not God should be credited for the inspirational and transcendent wisdom that will teach humanity how to live, thereby saving it.

Isn't this essentially what both Buddhism (and also Humanism) have been saying all along?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2023 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins