Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Mass Extinction Looms, According To CNN, Kantolfir2, Et Al

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Whittier on August 23, 2002 19:49:59 UTC

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/08/23/green.century.mass.extinction/

While I'm looking forward to Dr. Dick Stafford's
eventual posting of a word summary of his Equation 1.27, the issue above would challenge
the best minds as to what can actually be done, knowing our political and cultural inertia.
For this, I would even deign to "forgive"
Scott Abernathy and converse ...though it's easy enough to just say my piece and sit back (:\~

As the song goes:
"The sword of the Lord don't mean nuthin' to me if he won't get down on the people makin' such a mess of the land and sea..." I appreciate the sentiment but I'm not letting a song determine my
stance on public policy issues.

Is "getting down on the people" going to provide the technical biology fix that is needed?
I say it won't.

Question is, who really are making the mess?
Forest fires undermine the oxygen base which is an ingredient in creating atmospheric ozone.
Tell me in technical terms where the following is mistaken:
If we harvest timber to create fire breaks and thin the forests so fuel loads are reduced and fires are easier to put out, this reduces total burning. I realize that may not have been the timber companies' main objective, but technical biology must be biology first, politics second.
Also, this reduces the need to log in other forests as the demand was partly met by cutting trees that might otherwise have simply burned.

I think we definitely need to reign in our sloppy consumption patterns, and we can do so without any terribly anti-free-market measures.
Why should WE THE PEOPLE choose to destroy the planet? Answer: We don't! We can freely choose
to built the future sustainably.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins