Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Is This It? Is There Nothing More?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Bret Raines on May 27, 2001 14:56:24 UTC

Hello,

I'm hoping that some of you might be able to help a total novice with a few telescope questions. I have considered buying a good scope for years, but don't know much about them. I recently borrowed a friend's Celeston G5 w/ 25mm eyepiece, so that I would have a baseline understanding, when I would read "has 177% more light gathering power than a # inch scope".

With last month's issue of Sky and Telescope in hand I proceeded outside. In my first attempt on 25 May, I located Jupiter and early the next morning checked out Mars. However, I must admit that I was a little disappointed. The reason for this, was because both planets appeared less than the size of a pencil eraser (with little or no detail) through this scope. In fact, the only reason I knew it was Jupiter was due to its location and because I could just barely see several moons which appeared as bright pin dots in a straight line.

Now I must ask: Is this it? Is there nothing more? Surely, not every amateur has a C14 or a 18 inch dob. I'm not a rich man, but what do I need to get in order to view the planets or deep sky objects with a relative view of 3+ inches or at least filling half the viewing area? Also would someone please explain the relationship of the eyepiece and the size of the scope in layman terms?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Bret "Novice" Raines
Victorville, CA

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins