Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Vignetting Reported By Newt V2.5

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Dave Sellors on February 19, 2003 18:03:45 UTC

Hello all:

I'm new to telescopes. Got Richard Berry's telescope making book for xmas, have my heart set on a 10" dob. I've used Newt to optimize the design, but I need to understand something before buying any parts.

What controls the width of the white line (the point of focus) above the focuser ? It seems this is significant to vignetting. My design using a 1.25" focuser is marginal. I call for a 1.8" diagonal, but Canadian sources offer 1.83." Just increasing the diagonal size by 0.03" introduces a vignetting problem.

Changing to a 2" focuser rids the problem, but my budget won't support 2" eyepieces. If I go with a 2" focuser with a 1.25" adapter, I think I will get vignetting problems again, but Newt can't analyze this situation directly.

I'm tempted to stick with my present (marginal) design, but I need experienced advice here. Any suggestions ? I would gladly forward my Newt specs if someone has the time to review them.

Thanks.

Dave

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins